Introduction to Keeping Honeybees
A two-day workshop with Amy Moyle
March 22, 2015 & April 25, 2015
This two-day workshop will introduce you to keeping bees in North Carolina.
In the first session, you will learn what it takes to keep honeybees today. This first session is targeted at both those who already know they want to keep bees but don’t know where to start and those who are considering keeping bees but aren’t sure about how much time and money is required. This session is scheduled to allow time to buy (and assemble) equipment and in time to order bees for spring delivery.
In session 1 you will learn:
- What you need to know before you get started.
- About bees – colony, organization, life cycle, and some bee biology.
- What equipment you will need.
- The best location for your hives.
- Where to buy bees and equipment.
- How much it costs to get started.
- How much time it takes to raise bees and what you need to be doing each month.
- How much honey you might get.